Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Abacus

March 22, 2011

Tonight’s adventure started out with dinner at Cheeseburger Island Style. Kids eat free on Tuesdays, what a perfect excuse to go. L liked the decor; all of the Hawaiian trinkets lined up along the ceiling, the tikis, and the ukulele hanging on the wall. To keep with the theme of the name of the restaurant, L ordered...wait for it...mac & cheese. I tried to push the cheeseburger, but to no avail. We played games while we waited for our food; tic-tac-toe on the kids menu, and a couple that I brought, Scrabble Flash and Story Cubes. Story Cubes was a new one and it consists of 9 dice/cubes, each covered with different pictures. You roll the dice and create a story using all of the pictures beginning with “Once upon a time...”. On L’s second roll, she got an abacus as one of the pictures. Before she had a chance to start (thinking back I shouldn’t have interrupted and just let her tell her story but I was curious), I pointed to the picture of the abacus and asked her if she knew what it was. Without skipping a beat she told me, “It’s an abacus.” I picked my jaw up off the table, complemented on her exceptional intelligence, and asked her where she learned that. Her answer was the last answer I was expecting. Actually, I don't think I could have ever guessed where she learned it. “From Sponge Bob!” Really?!?! And I thought Sponge Bob was just a useless, irritating cartoon. Shows how much I know. She told her story and before I took my next turn I asked her if she knew what an abacus was used for. I was impressed enough that she knew what it was and remembered the word abacus. “It’s for counting up stuff.”  Right again smarty pants! We got through a couple rounds of Scrabble Flash before our food came, complete with little umbrellas.

After dinner we went to a new bookstore in town to check it out, Grassroots Books.  They sell new and used books, music, and DVDs. Everybody gets a free book on their first visit so it fit right in with the ‘kids free’ theme. The store was pretty cool, a lot bigger than I expected, and there was an entire room of kids books in the back, complete with Cosmo, the giant flying spaceman puppet you can control with a marionette-type rope and pulley system.  L liked Cosmo a lot (darn, why didn’t I take a picture of him?) but also liked the books too. “If they have a Justin Bieber book, I’m sooooo getting that as my free book.” She was a little disappointed to find out that there was not one Justin Bieber book in the entire store, but she did manage to find a few that she liked including Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by one of MY favorite authors, Roald Dahl.

We made a couple of pit stops before dropping her at home, PetSmart to look at the animals, and Ulta to look at all of the makeup and perfume. I dropped her at home, we syncronized our calendars for next week and called it an evening.

Until our next adventure . . .

1 comment:

  1. I am totally finding Story Cubes at a store down there...what a fun game! My 4th graders could use all the help they can get when it comes to writing...this will let their imaginations run wild!

    Love the blog...keep the stories coming!

    ReplyDelete