Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Clay Canvas, Dinner, and Ducks

June 7, 2011

Finally we have a nice day. We must, must, must do something outdoors! I brought along some stale bread and thought we’d head to the park to feed the ducks and play in the playground. On the way to the park; however, L asked when we could go to Clay Canvas. She’s asked a few times about going there, so I gave them a call and they happened to be open late. So, I thought what the heck, let’s do it. She had been there before with her previous Big so she showed me the ropes. She picked a flower-shaped dish and I picked a mug with a peace sign on it.

L: “Who are you making yours for?”
Me: “I dunno, I might keep it for myself.”
L: “Oh. I’m making mine for you.”
Me: “Awwww, that’s so sweet of you. Thank you!”
A little while later . . .
L: “Are you going to keep yours for yourself?”
Me: “Uh, why do you think I’m painting it purple?”
L: Through her BIG smile (purple is her favorite color). "It's for me?"
Clay Canvas is a fun place where you can let your creativity flow. We painted, decorated, and watched others paint their stuff (most interesting was a young guy painting a large garden gnome he had to special order). We finished and left our masterpieces for the kiln...they won’t be ready for a week.

Now...where to eat, where to eat? We got in the car and realized that Napa-Sonoma is just a few doors down. I suggested we go there. It was crowded with lots of people eating, drinking, chatting, and watching the basketball game. There was even a live saxophone player. I wasn't sure it was a kid-type place when we walked in, but they were very welcoming and friendly. L got a high-five from the waiter before he showed us to our table. The food was good, the staff was super nice, and I’d definitely go back.

It was still light out after we finished eating so we headed to Idlewild Park (my original plan), played in the playground for a bit, then went to the pond to see and feed the ducks. There were Canada geese, mallards, common mergansers, and Brewer’s blackbirds. I taught L the proper bird names and tried to explain the differences between the species, and between the males and females, while she fed them. I wasn't sure how much was sinking in until I heard her call the goose “Canada Goose” at one point. And, as she threw the bread to a specific bird she would say, “Here girlie!” or “Here boy!” Cute, I guess the male/female lesson sunk in too. I’ll have binoculars in her hands soon enough. When all the bread was gone, she ran back to the park, "Please, just five more minutes?!?!" and then we headed home.

Until our next adventure . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment