May 17, 2011
It was time again for the South Valleys Library monthly craft program. This has become a tradition for us (is it a tradition after 4 months?). We look forward to each month and try to guess what the craft theme is going to be. L guessed a Mexican theme for Cinco de Mayo, but when we got there I was excited to see all four projects were birds. As has also been the tradition, L can’t pick just one or two projects; we have to make sure to do them ALL in the allotted hour. First was the baby birds in a nest using halves of plastic Easter eggs, a paper plate, and Easter basket grass. Next was the folk owl with movable wings, then the toilet paper roll owl, and finally the paper songbird with folded fan wings.
![]() |
| Crafts complete! Yes, the TP roll owl has 5 eyes and 10 nostrils. Let your creativity flow... |
After the crafts were complete we moved to the kid’s section of the library for our next tradition, reading and playing with the puzzles. There are a number of wooden puzzles for the kids to play with; you know the kind with the big wooden pieces that fit into the wooden tray that shows the same picture of the piece. Although these are meant for much younger kids, L has created a game for us to make it more challenging. Blindfolded (yes, I said blindfolded) the other person puts a piece into your hand and you have to figure out what it is and where it goes just by feeling it and memorizing the tray. Last time we did the dinosaur puzzle, this time we did the farm animals (a little more difficult because their legs aren’t cut out) and the planes, trains, and automobiles puzzle. Then we each chose a book to read, took turns reading the pages, and library time was over.
![]() |
| Grabbing the puzzles . . . |
Since we were nearby, L wanted to show me where she takes karate. She directed me with no problem, and just wanted me to look at the school, “See?! That’s it! It looks like my school. Isn’t it cool?!” “Yep, super cool!” I told her. Next, she wanted to go to the park across the street and although it was cold and so, so very windy, I couldn’t say no. She said she was only going to go on everything once because of the wind and cold and we had so much fun running from one thing to the other; we had the entire park to ourselves. She even let me put her in the baby swing and she fit. It was hilarious! When we were sufficiently windblown, frozen, and hungry, we jumped in the car and headed to dinner.
I decided to try Heidi’s Restaurant; typically known as a breakfast/lunch place, but this newer store is also open for dinner. L ordered (surprise, surprise) chicken strips with fruit (she chose fruit herself) and I had a veggie sandwich (which came on a croissant, mmmmm). Because she had homework to finish for school tomorrow I took her home after dinner but we made two more dates before I left (we have to make up for time we lost last week when I was out of town for a work conference).
Until our next adventure . . .


No comments:
Post a Comment